About Julie

My photo
Medford, NJ, United States
Julie Basello-Holt, a city girl originally from New York City, is the owner of True Story Photography in Medford, NJ...she is currently surviving quite nicely in the suburbs (for now).

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Wonder Women!

I do my best thinking in the shower. I guess with no phones, computers or other distractions, it affords me uninterrupted time to focus on a thought from start to finish. Throughout my working life I am always in the midst of two or three things going on at once which makes it really hard to sit and focus through a complete thought. So shower time is focus time. This morning was no exception...

Today I was reflecting on some of the women I know and it got me thinking about yesterday. In just one day, I interacted with, chatted with, or hung out with some amazing women. The most interesting thing is that I don't think any one of them would describe themselves as amazing or even register how incredible they are. Some have things in common but most are completely different from each other. There were no great dramatic gestures or loud declarations yesterday, just small and somewhat brief interactions that I was actually paying attention to throughout the day. I guess we are all on our respective life journeys and we sometimes forget that there are people around us who can share their wisdom through even the smallest of acts or seemingly inconsequential conversations. Yesterday was that kind of day for me with respect to the women I interacted with. And it struck me that I need to pay attention to EVERY day more closely. There is a message in each day somewhere.

My photography business partner is the first amazing woman I touched base with yesterday. Great with her kids, upbeat, always thinking positively, she is the someone who is always willing to help out another person. She has helped raise money for charities, gone out on a limb to support various causes and continues to be true to herself and make her family a priority the entire time. In addition to all that she is one of the most creative people I know and one of the few people who I know will listen to the craziest creative idea I might have and totally get what I am saying and where I am coming from (and not think I am weird either). Who wouldn't love to work with someone like that?

Moms who have children who are seriously ill are another type of woman that I have enormous respect for. I have met a few of these women who are great moms and are on a journey which I would not wish on my worst enemy. And yet, they respond to every situation that is thrown at them and their child with nurturing, protectiveness and grace. I guess you pull strength from wherever you need to, whenever you need to. I actually read a quote yesterday that went something like this: You never know how strong you are until you have no choice but to be strong. I have such admiration for the women I know who are in the midst of this journey with their children. I am praying for you daily in my little corner of the world.


I met with a client last night who is a very creative, introspective person and a terrific writer. In addition to being a mom, she also teaches and is furthering her education. She wrote an amazing piece about the Newtown CT tragedy that was probably the best thing I read about the tragedy including articles in mainstream media publications. Her voice, both in person and in the written word, is genuine and honest and she has a terrific energy about her. Those are the types of people I want to be around.

I ran into a good friend (ironically enough, in the restaurant where I met with my client) who is a terrific fine artist. She has her own unique style of creating and her works are very striking and really pull the viewer in. What those who don't know her well don't realize is that from a young age, she was all about music. She always loved visual art but she also plays numerous instruments, sang opera (yes, opera!) and taught music for many many years at a high school. At some point in her life, she decided to focus strictly on her attraction to fine art and now that is her purpose. How interesting to have so many options for creative outlets (and to be so great at all of them)! And as a bonus, she is a very loyal and giving friend too.

Another friend told me a story yesterday about loss and grief and strength. She lost her first husband when she was 42 years old. There are a lot of other components to her story that are complicated and that I won't repeat because it really isn't my story to tell. But I had no idea how much she had gone through. Today she is happily remarried to a great person but what brought her to that point and the journey she went on was so interesting to listen to. I appreciated her sharing her story and also how strong she is as a person to have gone through such tough times and come through successfully on the other side.  

These are just the women I interacted with yesterday. I am so lucky to have amazing female role models in my family too. What all the amazing women in my life have in common is that they use their talents and strengths in various ways throughout their day (and throughout their daily lives). They think nothing of sharing their gifts and bits of themselves and they seek very little credit or glory for what they do. They just do. And they do it well. Listening and learning yesterday was simple.
I'm inspired....

5 comments:

  1. Yes, but you aren't taking into account how much you inspire us when we get to see you... the world is really cool, when you stop and pay attention, isn't it? Just don't forget that you add so much to our lives... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh..ro recall experiences so vividly...and 'remember' to write them down! Now..'WHO'S' Inspiring?!?! (You!!!) Funny, how I (happened) to mention your name this morning while driving Noah to school. No coincidences, none whatsoever! <3

    By the By..'no' more migraines for Noah..within the last @2 months! :-D

    <3 Cindy


    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind words, Sandi! And Cindy, thank you. That is funny that you mentioned me. Hope Noah is doing great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amzing wonder woman too! Don't ever forget it! Loved your blog, very wise words....

    ReplyDelete