About Julie

My photo
Medford, NJ, United States
Julie Basello-Holt, a city girl originally from New York City, is the owner of True Story Photography in Medford, NJ...she is currently surviving quite nicely in the suburbs (for now).

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Are you a jewelry whore or a shoe slut? (Or both...!)


I was speaking to a friend of mine today and she described herself as a jewelry whore (but personally, I think she is  big shoe slut too! HAHA! ). I am definitely less of a jewelry whore and a much bigger shoe slut. What are these seemingly derogatory terms, you might ask? Well, it all has to do with your addictions...(and we're not talking about the kind that require an intervention, although the more you hit zappos.com the more that intervention might become a shopaholic reality for you...)

Tracey and I both share a love of interesting unique shoes. From dressy pumps to killer platforms to funky wedges, we both LOVE LOVE LOVE shoes. We covet them. She told me she used to save up as a young teacher and each month she would do her best to treat herself. As a female, you might begin your shoe-sluttiness by hitting Payless a lot but as you get older, you begin to uncover internet treasures and boutique shoes and, well, the next thing you know, you're credit card is screaming for mercy.

My favorite kind of shoes are the ones that don't look like they should be worn but are actually comfy in a 4 inch platform heel kind of way. And if you aren't getting compliments on your shoes, go choose another, cooler pair. Shoes should make you feel good and they should also inspire benign envy in at least one other person each time you wear them. My one gripe about shoes-why is every pair I love $ 150 plus dollars? It's a conspiracy, I tell you! Just not fair!

My friend would probably trade in jewelry for shoes but she is also very into the jewelry thing. In fact, she has actual earrings that match actual outfits. I am not talking about slight coordination. I am talking about apple green earrings that match the apple green threads in the patterns of a sundress (or something like that). Wow. I am totally NOT that person. I like silver, I like variety and I hate earrings. Bracelets are cool,  necklaces are even cooler. Rings are my favorite. I feel constricted by jewelry in the summer and I love big bold pieces but only if I'm in the mood. I sound picky but nothing like a jewelry whore. Sorry, Tracey, you win on that front!


And now I am off to zappos.com....sssshhh, don't tell my other 80 pairs of shoes...they might get jealous...

2 comments:

  1. Tracey was like this about shoes when she was 3 years old. She wanted a pair of red alligator Mary Janes. I did not think that was practical. My father (yes, her grandfather)said,"Oh, let her have them. She loves them." So, she was encouraged and that was the beginning of her passion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to see where the obsession came from. When I was a kid my parents bought my good clothing at a store called "The Palace" in Queens...wonder if that had anything to do with it? :)

    ReplyDelete