About Julie

My photo
Medford, NJ, United States
Julie Basello-Holt, a city girl originally from New York City, is the owner of True Story Photography in Medford, NJ...she is currently surviving quite nicely in the suburbs (for now).

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Running to Stand Still (or why I need a vacation to get ready for a vacation)


Vacations are fun, relaxing times to unwind and stop and smell the flowers after the chaotic regular lives we lead. I always enjoy time off from work, even if I am staying local or taking day trips and I have never regretted taking a vacation regardless of what my day job has been. So why is it that the weeks leading up to vacation are such insanity that it almost makes you wish you weren't taking a few days off? Why is that? Why do you end up running around like a lunatic just so you can sit on the beach for a few days. And those of you with children, I applaud you loudly. I can't even get myself straight, let alone a five year old!

I have a few theories that I will now share about why I become insane during pre-vacation. Please note that this is my own personal brand of insanity and my brand may not necessarily work with your brand of craziness. Regardless, I think most people should be able to relate on some level:

OCD-If you have mild OCD that isn't necessarily life-altering but that forces you to make random lists, replay everything you have to do in your head throughout the day (and night!) and basically just stress about everything until it is checked off that list you made, then pre-vacation time is not your friend.  I will be checking my list twelve times, rewriting the list a few times and generally driving myself very near to the point of insanity just making sure I packed enough black shirts to wear. And if you know me, you know that there is no shortage of those black shirts in my wardrobe. They always need to make it to the suitcase though...

Forgetfulness-I usually have so much on my mind, that my husband will tell me things two and three times and I will forget I ever heard them. To have to repeat oneself two or three times does not make someone happy, even if you are an easy, perfect person to live with (which I am not). In the midst of forgetting general information he shares with me, I also forget things like my toothbrush, hair gel and other assorted annoyances. Yes, I know, unless I am vacationing in Siberia (and probably even if I was), I can buy those things I forgot. But when a perfectly good pack of hair ties is sitting on the counter at home with a brand new brush, it bugs me to have to buy another set. General principle, I guess...or just being cheap!

Having a business/businesses-When I had a regular job, I just asked for time off and then had a few things to follow up on. Having your own business is a little harder in this area. Everything above that I mentioned about making lists and checking them twice? Make that three lists-one list for me, personally, and one for each of the businesses I run...this equates to even more stress and utter chaos when you realize that you forgot to update the outgoing phone message, website or whatever. I used to be worse at this but have gotten better at it with practice. This means that now, most everything gets done, prepped and ready-except at home, where I still forget the hair gel...*sigh*

Packing-Years ago, when I traveled for work each week, I was the greatest packer on earth. Literally I packed exactly what I needed and never, ever had a problem. I could make it in and out of an airport in record time and had my routine so scaled down that carrying my suitcase and laptop was no issue at all. Granted, I was also ten years younger but still, I had the packing thing wired. It was awesome. And somehow, in the time that has passed between then and now, I have completely lost every packing and efficiency skill I acquired back then. I have turned into that person with the 30 bags and suitcases heading out the door. What the hell happened? I have not become any more high maintenance. I just can't stand the thought of not having a choice between 4 pairs of black platform sandals when I am getting ready to go to dinner. Seriously, what is up with that? Why can't I just bring one of every color? Why do I need three of every color shoe that goes with an outfit. And then, after lugging them everywhere, why do I wear two pairs of shoes the entire vacation? I am seriously insane on this front. And if it is local vacation that is even worse because then I give myself permission to pack even more bags. One shoe bag, one bag of books to read on the beach, one bag just for lounging clothes, etc. I have gone from the Queen of Packing to a packing disaster. Someone help me please....

So vacation time is totally worth it but a totally stress-inducing activity and really, I don't know how else to say it. And yes, I know it's my own fault and maybe some day I will change things but for now, there just isn't time...I've got to go make another list....





No comments:

Post a Comment