About Julie

My photo
Medford, NJ, United States
Julie Basello-Holt, a city girl originally from New York City, is the owner of True Story Photography in Medford, NJ...she is currently surviving quite nicely in the suburbs (for now).

Thursday, March 29, 2012

It's a Musically Poetic Kind of Life...

I have been so busy with work-related items lately that I have barely had time for my "just for fun" creative pursuits. It was my promise to myself that I would make time for creativity this year and March has gotten away from me. The good news is I use creativity every day for both jobs I have so there is no chance that I will lose any of my creative spirit. But I do need to do creative things just for myself. Work isn't everything!

So I picked up my guitar for the first time in two weeks (slacker!) and started watching a different guitar teacher online and it got me pumped again. Music! Yippee!
There is so much about music that speaks to me. There is so much about words that I appreciate. I am new to learning how to play anything musically but I have been writing for, well, forever. I am also a huge appreciator of inspiring song lyrics. For me, liking a song is first about my connection to the words and second, the quality of the music. Song writers who are too literal tend to not speak to me as much. I spent four years earning an English degree so give me something I can dig into and interpret and I am happy.

I came across a few blog entries about inspiring songs and some of them were on my own personal list of inspiring songs. Some of them, quite frankly, I never heard. 

There are many songs on my very comprehensive list of inspiring songs. Here are just a few:



"When You Believe" (Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston)

"I Believe I Can Fly" (R. Kelly)

"True Colors" (Cyndi Lauper)

"Hero" (Mariah Carey)

"Lovely Day" (Bill Withers)

"Man in the Mirror" (Michael Jackson)

"Believe" (Josh Groban)

"Live Like You Were Dying" (Tim McGraw)

"Right Now" (Van Halen )

"Out Here On My Own" (Irene Cara)

"Gonna Fly Now" (from the movie Rocky)

And the list goes on and on and on...

What songs do you find inspirational or motivational? 
I would love to hear about what others think...



 

 






1 comment:

  1. Loved the Poetry shot and the commentary. Love music but not big on contemporary vocals; it takes me about two decades to appreciate the pop music, or more...only began to feel nostalgic about Don MCLean's 1971 American Pie a few years ago. Better than never.

    ReplyDelete